Our Mission

The Eau Claire Area School District (ECASD) has cut all funding for field trips in the upcoming budget. This means that children in the district will not be going on the curriculum-based field trips for which the school district has previously paid. Our group is launching a fundraiser beginning August 15, 2009. The goal is to raise approximately $70,000 that will be given to the ECASD for funding those field trips that would otherwise be eliminated this year. By achieving our goal, we will support local businesses, stimulate young minds and reinvest in the future of our community.


Friday, July 17, 2009

Memories

I was having dinner with some friends last evening when I was asked about this cause. I explained how Eau Claire United PTA-PTO was formed and why. This lead to some reminiscing about field trips as a child. Each person at dinner shared memories of their school field trips. Pieces of the conversation included:
  • I remember the excitement of packing a sack lunch and the days of anticipation before leaving on a field trip.
  • Our class visited a jail. I remember the mint green walls.
  • My class visited my teachers farm.
  • We rode a bus for over an hour to go to Wilderness Walk in Hayward. I remember a goat climbing up on our picnic table during lunch and a deer walking into the gift shop.

As I listened to each person's story, it reinforced why this effort is so important. Field trips create memories for children. It gives them a sense of adventure and excitement. It gives them the opportunity to be chatting with friends as adults and have a story to tell. What do you remember about going on a field trip?

Submitted by Monica Obrycki